Monday, February 4, 2008

17w4d

No word yet on whether we are expecting a bambina or bambino. My OB didn’t do an ultrasound last Thursday and we were left in the dark. It is going to be an agonizing 10 days but we have so much to look forward to!

My last appointment went well; the Doctor checked my weight, blood pressure and urine as usual. He checked the baby’s heart beat (154 BPM) and prodded my belly a bit. I was put on antibiotics for a UTI but other than that he said he expected smooth sailing and that I was doing very well. I, of course, never stop worrying about anything and everything. I know that this is normal seeing as how I am a first time mommy but I am looking forward to the day the baby comes out safe and sound!

I have still been really nauseated but fighting through it. I get really bad at night and think maybe I am just so fatigued by that time that the nausea starts to rear its ugly head. I truly haven’t felt that so-called burst of energy women feel in their second trimesters. I am so tired all the time. Hopefully soon!

Emotionally I have been a bit steadier…though I did have an episode recently triggered by Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. I sat down in a bookstore to read it because I was browsing children’s books and ended up in tears for the next 10 minutes. Norman says it’s because The Giving Tree is a reflection of life and parents and children. I used to love that book as a child but all I know is that now it’s the saddest book I have ever read.

I bought a Boppy pregnancy wedge last week and it has been a life saver. I am sleeping so much better now at night and even use it while laying watching T V for support under my belly. My belly is so big now that it pulls down to one side when I lay on my sides (which is the only way I can lay these days) and causes back pain and lots of discomfort. The wedge levels me off and takes a ton of pressure off my back. I don’t know how I lasted so long without it.

I can’t believe I am almost halfway through my pregnancy. I begin my 5th month in 3 days. Norman and I are so in love with our child and in about 20 weeks we’ll have Nugget in the flesh. It’s truly an amazing feeling and I am thankful every single day of my life.

More updates soon!

1 comment:

Belladora said...

I bet you didn't know Shel Silverstein was my favorite author.