Tuesday, June 10, 2008

35w5d

I had a scary hypoglycemic incident this afternoon before lunch. At first I thought it was a drop in blood pressure but after I called my OB and spoke to the nurse she confirmed it was hypoglycemia.

I started to feel really clammy; I felt a cold sweat. I immediately got dizzy and felt my heart rate speed up. My hands were shaking and I realized that I didn’t have the strength in my legs to stand up. I thought I would pass out and started to worry but not too much since I could feel Nugget squirming and kicking and punching. As long as I know she’s OK nothing can be that bad.

Anyhow, I reached for the candy dish I have on my desk here at work and shoved 3 jolly ranchers in my mouth all at once. I started to feel a tiny bit better. I finished the water in my water bottle and realized I could now likely stand up and walk. So that’s what I did. I got more water, ate a bunch more candy, used the bathroom and headed out to meet Norman for lunch (he picked me up). I started to feel so much better after all that candy and water. I ate a salad for lunch and some chips and guacamole. YUM. But I was a bottomless pit. When I got back from lunch – now feeling 100% better – I went to the vending machine and bought a Snickers Bar and Reeses Pieces (fruit would have done the trick but I didn’t have any on me). I swallowed them both practically without chewing. I am still not full if you can believe it. I mean, I’m not hungry, but I’m not full either. Goes to show you how starved I was.

So this is when I called my mom to tell her what had happened. She suggested (read: panicked and urgently pleaded) for me to call the doctor. So I did. And my wonderful nurse Lisa asked what I had eaten…a bowl of cereal at 7AM. OK, and what else…ummmm nothing. OK. REBECA YOU HAVE TO EAT. I was like I know I know I know – and the truth of the matter is that I normally do, I graze all day long. But today I got caught up at work and I just forgot.

As soon as I get home I am going to pack a large bag of fruit, belly bars and snacks to keep at my desk.

No more scares!

No comments: