Tuesday, April 8, 2008

26w5d

I am super bummed but for some reason I knew this would happen.

My glucose screen came back slightly high (146 – it should have been 140 or lower). Now I have to go for the 3 hour screen. I made an appointment for it for next Friday. My dad said he’d join me so at least I will be in good company. I made my appointment for 8:30AM and I have to be fasting. They draw my blood as soon as I get there, then they give me the nasty junk to drink and I have to have my blood drawn again once every 3 hours thereafter.

Here is what the 3 hour screen results should look like:

Interval - Abnormal reading
Fasting - 95 mg/dl or higher
One hour - 180 mg/dl or higher
Two hours - 155 mg/dl or higher
Three hours - 140 mg/dl or higher

Of course I am paranoid now and so I immediately went and bought a One Touch monitor and so far my readings have been perfect. I took my first reading about 3 hours after breakfast and got 80. I took my second reading about 1 hour after lunch and got 100. I had just eaten a banana and everything. These numbers are great. I don’t get it. Oh well.

The doctor did tell me that the one hour test provides a lot of false positives, especially when I am so close to the cutoff.

Fingers crossed that the results of my 3 hour screen are normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know several people that failed the one hour test and took the three hour and passed with no problem. If you do end up with gestational diabetes it is easy to control with diet so don't get stressed about it. You and baby will be fine:)